EQT & the University of Pikeville
Puzzles & Games
ENTERING 7th or 8th Grade
July 10 & 11, 2017
· Puzzles & Games
o Have you ever wondered how many armies to attack with in Risk, how to leap pegs in the triangular peg puzzle and leave only one peg, or how to solve the Rubik’s Cube? In this STEM Mini-Camp, campers will explore hands-on, as well as with some probability theory, how to determine effective attacks in Risk, how to increase chances of leaving fewer pegs in a peg puzzle, and how to solve the Rubik’s Cube one layer at a time. Campers will also explore some other classical puzzles including the Towers of Hanoi, wooden and plastic sliding puzzles, and 3-dimensional objects like folded polygons. Participants will be provided with several puzzles/games to take home.
Purpose of the Camp
Attending this camp will help students realize that science and math are interesting, can be fun, and are constant and necessary parts of their lives. Instruction will be provided by highly qualified individuals. Students will have an opportunity to participate in activities that will further enhance their understanding of the scientific process. The STEM Mini-Camp will greatly increase the students’ appreciation for science and math courses. It will also help students achieve academic excellence in these courses during middle/high school.
Location & Time
The University of Pikeville Campus & the Armington Science-Learning Center
Monday, July 10: 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Tuesday, July 11: 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Lunch will be provided by the University of Pikeville.
· The registration fee for the STEM Mini-Camp is $50.
· Applicants must complete and submit the required forms below.
· Be aware that it is not until your registration fee has been received that your registration is finalized.
· Registration fees that are not received within two weeks of an application submission will be moved to the bottom of the camp registration list.
· In the event that your application cannot be processed, the registration fee will be returned.
Dr. Robert W. Arts
Phone: (606) 218-5476